PhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucketPhotobucket

Monday, March 28, 2011

The Bookworm: Further Under The Duvet - Marian Keyes



This is my second Marian Keyes novel, the first having been Angels. But, this is my first Marian Keyes collection of journalism (any Keyes afficionado will know what this means). I never did get to read the first installment aptly entitled Under The Duvet. Notice this one has a Further before the Under? This is Part 2 people! And it is quite a standalone so no worries that you'll be lost. I wasn't! I see

I must say, I find it very refreshing to read short stories. It's a quiet reprieve after all those single-story novels, if you know what I mean. During those busy busy seasons, I feel like it's quite an accomplishment when I finish 1 story. And that is exactly why short stories are perfect! I can say, "I finished so many stories in one week!" Cheating I know, but who cares! It's MY accomplishment.

A rather funny thing happened while I was reading this book. I came across a section called Short Stories. And I thought this whole book was made up of short stories! Imagine my surprise! And that isn't even the shocker! I soon found out that these so-called Short Stories, were actually pretty long stories! And I wanted more short-er stories! It seems people are never satisfied, with people in this context meaning me of course!

One bad thing about this book, there is NO summary! Due to it being a collection of short stories (there! I said it! now you know what a collection of journalism means!!) BUT do not fear, for I will provide you with my very own summation of this story of short stories.

She starts of with a chapter called Handbags and Gladrags, talking about her experiences with what else, shopping! And a stint as a makeup writer for a magazine (VERY funny this one). Then we go On The Road, Keyes style. It's travels all the way baby! Let me tell you, she travels A LOT and this makes for lots of enjoyable reads. Health and Beauty is next, a treasure trove of tips for an ex-magazine writer. Woman to Woman is about the all-important woman power, getting married, and the F-word (gasp!) . Friends and Family introduces the Keyes family, the whole hilarious lot of them really, from cute nieces and nephews to gorgeous sisters-in-law. But Seriously. No no that is really a chapter title! This one is really touching, discussing how some of her travels have impacted on her life. And how she came to be an author. I didn't think people could come from that! And last but surely not least, Short Stories tackles well, just that. There are 8 of them and they ain't that short!

If it isn't already clear, this collection of journalism covers Keyes' many loves. Shopping (lots), traveling (quite a lot as well), family, the spa, make-up tips and tricks and loads more. Psst...she claims she stayed in a room once occupied by Tom Cruise! That's it for my mini-summary.

As for her writing style, I dig it! I like how freestyle it is and the stories flow smoothly from page to page. Although, she does use the F-word. And a variation of it, several times. But it is used so good-naturedly that it doesn't feel as obscene as it should be. Or maybe she desensitized me?

And so, you have got to trust me when I say, I really like this book! Me thinks it is time I read more short stories. If only to make myself feel better, about myself.

  • Title: Further Under The Duvet
  • Author: Marian Keyes
  • Format: Paperback 416 pages
  • Publisher: Penguin Books 
  • Release Date: 2006
  • Genre: Chick Lit
  • ISBN-10: 9780141021232
  • ISBN-13: 978-0141021232
Disclosure: I was not compensated for this review financially or otherwise. Everything mentioned are my own thoughts based on my experience.

    5 comments:

    1. I don't read many short stories but this sounds interesting. Thanks for review.
      Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hi Brandi,

      Thanks for stopping by. Yeah it's pretty cool! A first time for me too.

      ReplyDelete
    3. Sounds like fun :) I read a lot of fantasy and I love read fantasy collections of different authors :)I meet a lot of new one's that way! Thanks for stopping by and entering my giveaway (www.roseworksjewelry.blogspot.com) and if you like reviews I post those at (www.ajedismusings.blogspot.com). Have a great day!

      ReplyDelete
    4. Hi roseworksjewelry,

      Thanks for dropping in and commenting.

      Me too. Fantasy is fun. This book is non-fiction though but still a fun read!

      Thank you for sharing!

      ReplyDelete
    5. Sounds like a fun collection. I've never read anything by this author before.

      ReplyDelete

    Thank you for adding to my blog! I love reading your thoughts